Tuesday, April 20, 2010

One Light Year


Today is the one year anniversary of The Museum of Peripheral Art entering the blogosphere. Before this blog there was a website for a year, museumofperipheralart.org, which was simply a rotation of images of early projects and sculptures. The first picture and the hallmark image was of Petina (pictured above), which is a sculpture I have and a false idol, I still worship, adore, cherish etc... 'She' was replaced with the concentric orange rings when the Museum ventured beyond objects. I created them to represent pulsating and emitting media and peripheral layers and ripples.

Museumofperipheralart.org was
purposefully vague and mysterious about the existence and pursuits of the Museum. I did not renew that site and tried to let everything reside peripherally for another year or so on various sites such as Flickr but that was too scattered. At the same time I was writing art articles independent of The Museum of Peripheral Art. The blog was a wonderful calling, in which all the projects and writings came together and made sense of each other. Including this page, there have been 83 postings to date.

On April 20, 2009 I had two postings: both were 'reprints' of articles published in Umelec magazine:

Synesthetic Interpretations: Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick

Byproducts of Art: An Interview with Luis Camnitzer

The latter was well received by the magazine, while the former was not fully appreciated and said to be too dated...which is true, I wrote it almost forty years after 2001: A Space Odyssey was published and released...but one thing I never wanted to be is too timely or trendy. That being said, the article was finally published around the time of Arthur C. Clarke's death, which I feel was an appropriate in memoriam. One thing lost in translation to the blog was the layout I established for
the magazine article, which references the Kubrick's monoliths (quite different than Clarke's). The original title was Writing and Directing Sculpture.

Though I like and miss the scrutiny of editors and working closely with proof readers, I most certainly prefer the freedom of availability of this blog. So I apologize if my writing is not always as tight as it should be. I consider this a diary of my art and media thoughts and hope it jostles some ideas in those who serendipitously happen upon its postings.