Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Paradise Punk: An Interview with Meilani Marie Wenska

by Drew Martin, with Meilani Marie Wenska

Meilani Marie Wenska is a Los Angeles based singer/musician, actor, writer and artist, who is originally from Kaneohe, Hawaii. We met in the late 1980s and became friends in college as we were in the art program together.

Drew:
It has been more than a year since I saw you in Los Angeles. Thanks for coming to my show. It was great to see you there. You still look young, healthy and happy. You mentioned a web series video project you have been working on. What is that about?

Meilani:
In April of 2010, I wrote a screenplay based on my experiences with my family when my grandmother died. I decided to promote the screenplay by turning the first part of it into a web series. So I adjusted the script, roped in some friends to help, hired a crew, and did a casting. Shot it in three days this past April.

Looking at the footage, I am so impressed with the talent of everyone involved. Editing has been a lot more work than I ever imagined, but I’m done with the rough cut and in the middle of color correcting at the moment. Basically I’m teaching myself how to do all of the post production as I go along, using Youtube tutorial videos and a book on Final Cut Pro.

Drew:
I know you have been playing/singing, acting and writing poetry...do you still paint?

Meilani:
The last few years I’ve mostly done paintings and drawings as gifts. Ironically, I’m living with a painter/photographer, and really should get back into it. I love the oozey texture of paint and playing with color. Soon enough…I’m content artistically now with editing, playing jazz and acting.

Drew:
One thing I remember about you from college was that you went to work at a gardening center and were making concrete garden statues. I find that kind of intriguing. Was that like an ongoing sculpture project, which required skill or was it more of a mindless, rough job? What did you learn from it?

Meilani:
Wow, I haven’t thought about that job in years! It was a business with a loyal following, pumping out these little concrete statues every day. I’d come home covered in cement dust and mud, and it was mostly hard labor. But there was a finesse to it, little details that if you got wrong, perhaps a gnome wouldn’t have a nose. I knew after that job that sculpting was definitely not my thing, but that with business acumen, you can make a good living through selling art.

Drew:
You seem to immerse yourself in beauty, with your boat and trips to various paradises. Well, it is more than that...you just seem to have a beautiful life on many levels. I guess what I want to know is if this is a philosophical decision and everything simply falls into place, or is it something rooted in your past that is just second nature or is it something more directed...a kind of general aesthetics you pursue and make happen?

Meilani:
Well, I’ve been really fortunate in the last two years, with buying the boat and being able to travel around. California has a ton of amazing natural wonders--you don’t have to drive for more than a few hours. I’ve found that being in nature confronts you with the incredible world we inhabit, and effortlessly lifts your spirit.

And spending time on the boat is fantastic. The quality of light on the water and the surrounding boats is gorgeous, and the marina is shockingly full of wildlife. I’ve seen a sea eagle, sting rays, sea lions, jellyfish, and the most enormous schools of fish, just sitting on my boat while docked a mile back from the open ocean. Love it.

As far as philosophy goes, I do believe that a person is creating their own life at every minute, through thoughts, beliefs, and actions. You make little decisions all the time which have impact, and your general vibe can attract luck or misfortune. You really have to choose what side of your personality that you’re going to feed, and things can fall into place if you go with the flow and allow them to happen.

I can’t say my life’s been a walk in the park; the past year has had many challenges and tribulations for me on both personal and professional levels. But I’ve come through it all, and am just trying to be the best person I can be.

Drew:
You were in some all-girl punk bands...PMS, if I recall correctly. That was quite hard and aggressive, the opposite about what I was getting at in my previous question. Does that side of you still exist? Do people need that kind of release no matter how pleasant life may be? And, for that matter, is that the key to a better life?

Meilani:
Oh, most definitely, that side is still around! One of my favorite things to do is drive on the curvy part of Sunset Blvd. near UCLA with the sunroof open, blasting loud punk rock, and passing as many cars as I can. I also did boxing and a very aggressive martial art for about 10 years. Life is not perfect, and we all get stressed out. And the release, whether punching and kicking, or rocking out, feels so good.

Drew:
I thought I did not like Los Angeles, but I really liked it on my last visit. It seems like a really good place to live and have a personalized life. What do you like about LA? What is unique about it?

Meilani:
I love how LA is right on the beach, and the climate beats anything, except Hawaii. People say LA has no character, but there are a number of neighborhoods with flavor—like Echo Park or West LA. Another thing I like is how LA is truly an international melting pot—you can find entire neighborhoods of every ethnicity in the world.